- Dorsal and anal fins without scales at base
- Maxilla without scales
- Total gill rakers on first gill arch 22–27
- 59–63 lateral line scales
- Vomerine tooth patch without medial posterior extension
Back and upper sides pale lavender to pinkish; silvery below; a network of dark spots on top of head; margin of dorsal fin yellow when fresh.
To 50 cm TL.
Indo-West and Pacific in tropical waters.
Rocky reefs, from 90 to at least 360 m depth.
Feeds primarily on benthic fishes but also crustaceans, squids and pelagic tunicates. Mean values of age and length at maturity are 2.3 years and 32.3 cm, respectively. Estimated maximum age is 10 years.1
Caught mainly with handlines.
Pristipomoides flavipinnis can be difficult to distinguish from Caesionidae.
- 1.Martinez-Andrade F. A comparison of life histories and ecological aspects among snappers (Pisces: Lutjanidae). 2003.